Monday, April 20, 2009

Toa Payoh Lor7, Snow Frost, The Soup Spoon

After picking up my sis from school we decided to venture into the unknown Toa Payoh/AMK territory to try some food we've been reading about from Makansutra....first up is this famous Hai Nan Xing Zhou Beef Noodles (Toa Payoh Lor 7 Hawker Centre).
It was mid afternoon and the hawker centre was rather empty..the way we like it!
My sister had the dry version with beef slices..the gravy was rather slightly watered down - not that dry in that sense. The uncle was super generous with the beef slices...there seems to be more beef than noodles actually...
The meat:noodle ratio is similarly skewed here (not like we're complaining cos the beef slices were really tender). I took the soup version and found the soup to be great - it is superbly beefy and not all that saltish, and has a herby aftertaste.
Ah Chuan Fried Oyster Omelette (Toa Payoh Lor 7) is another Makansutra legend...
The omelette has lots of crisp edges and was really tasty with the tangy chilli sauce. Portion is a little small though..
We then went to Snowfrost (AMK Hub) cos i remembered it from M's blog, and we discovered another shopping wonderland there...

Strawberry snow ice
Sheets of silky strawberry ice with real strawberry slices and puree makes for a superbly refreshing treat!
Peach Milk ice
The ice was really milk-powederish tasting, and rather bland except for the parts with the peach syrup. Doh I should have tried the peanut version.
I realised there are alot of shaved ice places springing up now...Dessert Story at Heeren is one I've tried many times.
Pumpkin Soup
We then decided to head to town and dropped by The Soup Spoon (Basement, Paragon) for dinner. I had the pumpkin soup - it was so thick that I felt like I was having a pumpkin puree.
Beef Goulash
My sister's one was nicer, with chunks of meat and lots of stewed vegetables. We both really liked this, its one of the best non-creamy soups we've tried.

No comments: